Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Have a Little Catching Up to Do

Wow have I been off the posting wagon. There is so much to catch up on.

I've lost 9 pounds of body fat and gained about 3 pounds of muscle. That translates to 4 inches on my waist and 3 inches on my butt. So that is a positive. My body is starting to look a little more like it did pre-baby. That makes me happy. I was really starting to think that it would never shift back.

We have DRASTICLY changed the way we eat. Dan has been more supportive than I had expected. That is saying a lot considering I am blessed with one of the most supportive husbands a woman could ask for.

If you look through the cabinets in our home, you will find a lot of whole grains, new spices, healthy oils, nuts, legumes and all-natural, organic baby food. If you look in our refrigerator and freezer, you will find fresh, whole fruits, vegetables, artesian cheeses and fat-free yogurts and milk.

What you will not find is any product with any form of processed sugar in the first 4 ingredients. Also missing are any products made with white four, processed four or anything labeled "enriched."

I'm sure it looks drastic, especially to those of you who know me as a fast-food loving sodaholic. But it has been so much smoother of a transition than I ever could have imagined. It started simply enough. I started adding fruit and veggies to everything. Then I started reading labels.

And my goodness, labels are frightening. Almost everything I thought was healthy was not. Things I thought were going to help me lose weight and feel healthier were hurting me.

Another big change is my water consumption. I now drink at least 64 oz of water in addition to the Fresca I allow myself as a treat and the water contained in my food. Water is my new favorite drug. I find that when I am fully hydrated, I actually get a bit of a buzz off of a glass of water. It's similar to what I used to feel from a cup of coffee. Weird. I know.

Now that the weather is breaking, fitting exercise into my day is so much easier. My friend Therese lent me a double stroller. I am sure she will never quite understand the impact that has had on my life. It has given me the freedom to exercise with my girls, to be an example for them even in their infancy.

With this stroller, I can run all of my errands on foot. Today, we walked/ran 7 miles. Yesterday, we did 11. Tomorrow, we will do more. It doesn't feel like a chore at all. We've met neighbors, delighted the residents at a local retirement home, played with dogs at Montrose Beach, gone shopping on Clark Street and much much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment